← Back to File Transfer for iOS
Answers to some common questions about File Transfer for iOS.
File Storage Companion is, however, more limited:
|File Transfer for Mac||File Storage Companion for Mac|
|Exchange files with smartphones and tablets|
|Exchange files with other Macs or PCs|
|Support for Mountain Lion's Notification Center|
|Support for drag & drop into the app's Dock icon|
|See the progress on the app's Dock icon|
|Support for the system services|
- Documents (pdf, doc/docx, xls/xlsx, ppt/pptx, pages, numbers, keynote, txt, htm/html, ...)
- Pictures (jpg/jpeg, png, tiff, gif, bmp, ...)
- Compressed files (zip, rar, 7z, and tar)
- Audio files (mp3, aac, wav, ...)
- Video files (mov, ...)
Please note: OpenDocument files (
.odg) can be sent and received with File Transfer, but must be open with specialized third-party apps.
- H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in
- MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in
Of course, you can also store videos in different formats that you can then open with specialized third-party apps.
- File Storage for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- Local Cloud for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- File Storage Companion, free for Mac and Windows.
- File Transfer for Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Android. The cross-platform system for file sharing.
(¹) Bluetooth can be used only between iOS devices.
- Open your iOS's Settings app.
- Select Privacy.
- Select Photos.
- Turn ON the toggle for File Transfer.
- Import files from any other app using the "Open in..." feature (more info in the Getting Started Guide).
- Import photos and videos from the Camera Roll (more info in the next section).
- Receive files and folders from another device on which is installed Local Cloud, File Storage, File Transfer, or File Storage Companion (more info in the Getting Started Guide).
Follow these steps:
- Tap on the Import button (bottom-right corner)
- Select From location
- Select a Document Provider among those present on your device (which depend on the apps you have installed).
- Tap on the Import button in the toolbar
- Select From camera roll
- Select photos from your camera roll and albums
- Select the file you want to open
- Tap on the Preview button (top-right corner)
- Tap on the Edit button
- Select the file you want to export
- Tap on the Action button (top-left corner)
- Select Open in Another App
- Choose a format
- Tap on the Choose App button
- Select Open in File Transfer
Some of these restrictions affect how application data is stored and what data can be accessed. Each application is given a directory on the device’s file system, and applications are restricted to reading and writing files in their own directory.
For commercial uses you need a license for File Transfer for each device. In this case, we recommend you to enroll in the Apple's Volume Purchase Program.
- Tailored look and feel, such as company logo or branding for business.
- Specific functionality for a business process or workflow.
- Special configuration for IT environments.
- Security features for sensitive or private company data.
Interested? Contact us →